[ale] SSL Certs for $14.95

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Apr 5 18:34:43 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 18:03 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>         What would you use for the DN (Distinguished Name)?  That's
> what gets
> compared to the DNS name in the SSL connection certificate check.  If
> that DN doesn't match the host name at the time of lookup, you get an
> error.  If you don't have a host name, what is going to be your basis
> of
> comparison?

Here is another case of where my situation is unique.  Our embedded
devices support SSL and you can place a certificate on them.  However
they may not have a hostname and may have many ip addresses.

We have 2 servers in a data center that only have IP addresses and no
host names.  To give them a host name we would have to take ownership of
our domain records from Earthlink and assign them ourself.  So if a
device has many ip addresses it may not be possible to do a reverse
lookup on an ip address.

In the end I can't assign host names that can be looked up in DNS to
every device including those I own.