[ale] shifting permissions

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Wed Apr 5 09:13:55 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 07:19, Jim wrote:
| This brings up a question. ?On Suse 9.3, when I plug in an SD card into
| an attached card reader, a window pops up displaying all the files. ?
| Since it's not a good idea to remove said card unless it's unmounted,
| how do you unmount it without actually issuing the umount command?

This one I _think_ I can answer.

Close the window, wait a few seconds and then check to see if the
card has been automagically unmounted.  That is what's _supposed_
to happen.  If it doesn't, you are running into the DEFAULT setting
for unmounting -- which is a five minute delay.
you'll need to edit /etc/auto.master;  it should have a line that
looks like this:  /misc   /etc/auto.misc; edit that line to look like
this:
/misc   /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=1

The time is in seconds and sets the minimum timeout before directories
are automatically unmounted. The default is 300 seconds.

Sean