[ale] Suggested Printer?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Apr 3 22:21:35 EDT 2006

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I recently picked up a floor-model Brother HL-5170DN for about $190 at
> OfficeMax (last time I was at the one in Duluth a couple weeks ago, they
> still had one).  It's a mono laser that DUPLEXES!  Seems issue-free in
> CUPS once the right file is put in the right place.  Oh, and it has USB,
> parallel, *and* Ethernet input (I have only used the parallel; I assume
> it has lpr built in).

I just ordered another Samsung ML-2010.  Newegg has them for $110
shipped, plus a $50 rebate.  That puts it down to $60 for a mono laser
printer.  I set one up for my girlfriend's father late last year, and it
has been working great.  The form factor isn't much bigger than his old
HP Deskjet (612C or some such).

Pat