[ale] shifting permissions

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Apr 3 10:42:41 EDT 2006

Can somebody _please_ explain what is happening to me.
I am running RHFC-3, w/2.6 kernel

I have a new 1-gig thumb drive, formatted with vfat (rw).

I want to mount it at /media/widget. This is the listing:

ls -l /media/widget
   drwxrwxrwx  2 kilpatms users 4096 Apr  3 10:06 widget

So then as root I run the mount command and check the perms again:
[root at sarge media]# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/widget
[root at sarge media]# ls -l /media/widget
   drwxr-xr-x  2 root     root  16384 Dec 31  1969 widget

What is changing the permissions?
More to the point, how to I stop it so that I can use the Thumb Drive
from my Home directory?

Help would be appreciated.
For what it's worth, udev loads on boot but seems to have stopped
working. I am no longer getting an automagic window popup when i new
usb mass storage device is plugged in.

Sean