[ale] Installation of SUSE 9.3 advice

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 29 00:47:30 EDT 2005

Jeff,
You can actually just use the first CD to get a ftp install from the ALE
ftp server going.  Or choose the minimal install first and then
configure Yast2 to point to the ALE ftp server for it's sources instead
of a CD or DVD.  If you don't need non-gpl based software and do have
ACPI issues then the suse 10 RC1 candidate distro is available from
mirrors off the opensuse.org site.  I found my laptop was much better
understood by the ACPI modules and thereby the kernel when I tried it.
I think SUSE 10 hits the market around the end of October or early
November.  If your machine is a 64 bit then suse 9.3 runs great and has
a option during initial booting to install 64 or 32 bit.  I think one of
the function keys switches the mode.  The Bitstream fonts (which I like)
are not installed by default.  Also, the DVD or ftp install will make
some packages available that aren't on the CDs.  Another tip, Suse will
allow user control of interfaces such as wifi and lan.  If you have both
enabled for DHCP and to be initialized at boot then the default route
gets assigned to the lan and not the wifi.  So, don't initialize the lan
at boot and do initialize the wifi to fix this.  Or, go static IP and
set the default route for at least one of the two.  Powersaved is the
package that runs all the ACPI and powersaving functions.  It runs as a
wrapper accepting all the modules messages and processing events, the
config files are all under /etc/sysconfig/powersaved.  Suse uses the
/etc/init.d startup scripts sys/V style with symlinks in the rcX.d
directories.  They've got a plan and methodology outlined in the Yast2
manuals so install the books and help files so you can read up on it.
You should use the checkconfig command and the insserv command for
dealing with runlevel at the command line.  Yast2 will do users, groups,
modify runlevels, recover a damaged MBR, configure NFS, and bunch of
other stuff.  There are updated versions of mozilla and other software
projects, not just security patches, available on the suse ftp server.
I hope they will continue with this as they transition to the
opensuse.org staging.  You can elect, after you get your installation
finished, to add nvidia accelerated graphics, all kinds of multimedia
related stuff, and important Openoffice.org patches in addition to the
security patching when updating with Yast2 Online Update, called YOU.
If you don't install the xine stuff via YOU, you can go to
http://packman.links2linux.org/  and get a bunch of rpms such as
Mplayer, the dvd decrypt code and so on.  There is a nice script that
will download the decrypt source for you and compile and install it.
The win32 codecs are there as well.  I usually download all that stuff
into a directory and point Yast2 to that as well as the ftp site in the
Change Installation Sources Yast2 module.  It saves trouble with
dependencies since you can get into a problem with xine packages
interfering with your install of other multimedia stuff.  Checkinstall
is available to use for source to rpm convenience in Suse.  Also, Bob
reviewed the Suse firewall scripts for his last book and found they were
adequate for what they do.  I've used them when necessary and the basic
config script is in /etc/sysconfig as well.  There are links on the
Opensuse site for suse based forums and resources.  Autoupdate for YOU
is available and will auto install typical security patches that don't
require a confirmation such as the kernel or any patch you've marked
previously as taboo.  One last point, the nvidia driver downloaded by
YOU is a outdated one now that has some bugs in it.  I would download a
later one, either by hand, or by modifying the fetchnvidia script
downloaded and used by YOU to do the install.  Kernel updates require a
recompile of the nvidia driver, so I've just used the nvidia native
installer script to handle that.  I've got six 9.3 machines I manage so
appreciate the Yast2 and YOU stuff.  There is a lot of SUSE related help
for each package in the help files for a package under
/usr/share/doc/packages.  Usually a SUSE.README exists for a package
with suse specific info, sometimes not.  I bet Geoffrey can add advice
here too!  Sorry about this email being a bit of a ramble!

Nedit is missing now from the distro.  :-(

I like its spreadsheet like copy and paste in a text processor.  Best
wishes,
Dow