[ale] WiFi PC Card Market

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:30:40 EDT 2005

> Be careful with this. I'd borrow a card first to see if it will work.
> My hp has a mini-pci slot, but when I put a card in it, the bios
> complained of an 'unsupported' card. Seems HP only wants you to use
> their card. Since their's is $100 and I picked one up for $45, I
> figured that made sense. Sucks, sounds like a Microsoft solution...

Yes, be very careful, as IBM does this this as well. There are some
utilities to get around these BIOS lockouts, but they are not pretty, plus,
you're playing with the bits in your BIOS - are you sure you're doing it
right?

I was fully prepared to do hand-to-hand with my R30 when I was installing my
2915/A/B/G card. Fortunately, the R30 predated that nonsense, but I do
believe the T20s have this problem.

bnm