[ale] Linux on new laptops

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 26 14:31:50 EDT 2005

I'll check my current issues of Linux mags but I remember reading up on a an article about building your own laptop.  There are major suppliers of all the parts and pieces now.  The article built something very similar to what I have.  The nice thing is that you can install what you want that way and get maximum Linux compatibility.  My laptop has the Intel IPW2200 B/G mini-pci wifi built-in inside the laptop.  It is supported just fine in SUSE 9.3 and works well.  I just tried out the SUSE 10 RC1 Beta for fun and the ACPI issues with the battery and touchpad went away.  I haven't tried yet to tweak suspend to disk or suspend to RAM but SUSE 10 has the April release of ACPI code.  I believe SUSE 9.3 had a February release.  I had subscribed to the acpi-devel listserv to get advice.  Basically I think the latest ACPI code you can try the better.  Posting the output of acpidump (acpidmp on SUSE 93) along with the basic info on the laptop to that list is the way to get your laptop ACPI BIOS problems noticed.

I'll check what magazine and issue had the "Build your own laptop" article,
Dow