[ale] WiFi PC Card Market

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.2y.net
Sun Sep 25 19:54:01 EDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 06:56:18PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I was really hoping for something from the walk-in-and-buy-it world...

If you're interested in a USB plugin unit that works at 802.11b speed,
eg, 54 Mbit/s, I've recently bought a DLink DWL-G122 adapter, and am
using it with a DLink DI-524 wireless/wired router at the other end.
As far as I know this is the ONLY one of the small -b speed adapters
that do work with Linux.

There is no native driver for Linux - you must use the Windows driver
under ndiswrapper.  However, it seems to work well.

The measured transmission speed is in the neighborhood of 800,000.
Bytes/sec - substantially below 54 Mb/s (or ~6.75 MB/s) - even though
iwconfig reports the full 54 Mb/s capability.  I suspect this is due
to limitations of the USB port, but I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, it's a big improvement over the predecessor Belkin F5D6050
adapter that was only an 802.11b device.

More details can be found on my web page - www.datix.us, menu item
"Wireless upgrade".

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.2y.net     www.datix.us