[ale] keyboard works in bios/grub but not after boot?

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Sun Sep 25 16:24:15 EDT 2005

I had this exact same problem back in June with my then recently built
machine. The keyboard would work fine with LILO and in the BIOS, but once
the machine was fully booted, the keyboard was no longer recognized as
being hooked up to the computer. The only way to get it working was to
unplug it and plug it back in.

Believe it or not, the problem was GPM. Yank the GPM command from your
startup script and watch your keyboard suddenly start working after a
reboot. Then log in and start GPM and see if your keyboard stops working.
The problem in my case is that GPM was trying to find a ps2 mouse when I
didn't actually have one hooked up. Actually hooking up a mouse also
solved the problem.

Updating to a later kernel fixed the problem entirely.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:04:51 -0400 (EDT)