[ale] Mandriva upgrade problem

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sat Sep 24 20:39:56 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 19:19 -0400, Mark Wright wrote:
> Hey Joe!  You da man!
>
> chkconfig command got me past the mounting other file systems bug.
>
> However this upgrade is still eating my lunch.  It now stops a few
> lines down at "starting YP map server".
>
> I guess I can keep shutting things off till it comes up.
>
> Do you know how to get past this one?

The problem now is ypxfrd.  It's part of the ypserv package (which I
don't use).  'chkconfig ypxfrd off' would kill it.  If you don't
need/use NIS, then you could just uninstall the ypserv package (rpm -e
ypserv).

In general, you can frequently identify the problematic service by
grepping for its start-up message, e.g.:

    grep 'starting YP map server' /etc/rc.d/init.d/*

--Joe