[ale] HOWTO install 64 bit gcc ?

Stephen Leonard stephen.leonard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:28:56 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Courtney Thomas
 <ccthomas at joimail.com> wrote:
> In trying to compile a FEM suite of programs, I'm getting a compiler
> failure [actually ./configure] which I surmise is due to the 32 bit gcc
> being installed rather than the 64 bit.
>
> How do I replace the 32 bit with the 64 bit gcc and not foul up
> anything, please ?

You probably don't want to replace your system compiler.
But rather, take a look at crosstool.  It's handy for building
compilers.

http://kegel.com/crosstool

Although, without a specific error message, it's hard to
determine if you really need to go through all the effort
of building a compiler.

hth,
stephen