[ale] Mandriva upgrade problem

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:45:12 EDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Mark Wright <mpwright at speedfactory.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a home desktop that I am trying to upgrade from MDK 9.2 to 2005
> (10.2) The upgrade seemed to go fine but when it was time to reboot it
> hangs at "mounting smb file systems". It is already at runlevel 5 by
> this time and should be starting the x server but it never gets that
> far.
>
> I have tried to use a standalone CD to boot and disable smb.conf or
> some other quick repair but of the three disks I have, Knoppix, Ubuntu,
> and mandrake move only Knoppix will boot. This would be great but it
> comes up in German and I can't make vi work. (I can start it but I
> can't get insert mode and ESC shift-: won't work)
>
> Soooo, is there a way I can fix this from the install disks?

I thought that the mandrake install disks came with a "rescue" mode. Try
looking at the help that comes up at the boot prompt..

Alternatively, it seems like your mandrake kernel is okay, just smb is
broken. Try booting into RL 1. If you use LILO to boot then enter, probably,
"linux 1" at the boot prompt. If you use grub then type 'e' to edit the boot
command, and put '1' at the end of the line. I think--I haven't done it
often with grub.

That should boot you to RL 1 where you can stop the network mount from
happening.

Michael