[ale] Linux on new laptops

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 22 16:13:04 EDT 2005

Dow_Hurst wrote:

>I have a new Compal EFL30.  It was bought as a branded Intrex laptop but is made by the ODM, Compal.  Personally, I love it now that I've figured out the initial problems.  It was $1600 with a 3 yr warranty.  Has 1.23Gb RAM, 80Gb HD, DVD ROM/CD-RW, 1280x768 TFT, builtin web cam, firewire port, 4 USB ports, builtin LAN, soft modem (SUSE 93 friendly), PCMCIA slot, SD/MMC/MS Pro card slot, 4 button touchpad (Elantech), miniPCI wifi ipw2200 B/G, and a very pretty prescratched up looking white enamel coating.  So, I think you'd like this one.  The battery life is about 3 hours or so.  The ACPI battery module is what was giving me the problems.  By not allowing it to be modprobe'd during boot, I've gotten a stable mouse and reliable operation.  The builtin electronics in the BIOS and battery let me know via sound and LED that the battery is getting low so I didn't really need the battery module functions anyway.  The CPU frequency module works great for saving on the battery life.
>  Oops!  The battery is getting low so I've got to go.
>Later,
>Dow

Two weeks ago I bought a hp pavilion zv6000 at fry's for about 1450. It
has 1 Gb ram, 2.4 Gb CPU, 100 Gb hd and a dvdwriter. The first one was
DOA, the replacement (they tried to screw me by replacing it with a
refurbished one!) has worked so far. It has no floppy drive, no serial
port, but has all sorts of things I have never heard of, but will
eventually figure out.
It of course has redmond stuff. It happily accepted SuSE9.3 after a
little bit of a struggle.
I guess you guys with all the DSL and ISDN stuff would not be interested
in modem talk,
but I have a story there, contact me if you are interested. The mouse is
horrible, no port for ps/2 mouse either, unlike my old Sony laptop.

SuSE9.3 professional informed me that I was installing a 32 bit OS on a
64 bit system, but went ahead anyway and so far worked ok. The 64 bit
SUSE9.3 which I tried to install hung when formatting (or maybe I was
impatient, anyway, after an hour I had enough); need help on this one. I
leave it at this for the time being.
Cor van Dijk