[ale] "shutdown -r now" vs "init 6" vs "reboot"

Christopher Coleman Christopher.Coleman at nsc.com
Mon Sep 19 16:54:46 EDT 2005

The commands reboots the system immediately without providing users with
time to close their apps. They work fine on single user systems. On
multi-user systems, shutdown is used to send a message to users
indicating the system is going down and give them time to log out.

shutdown -r 10 "system reboot; logout now"

Will reboot the system in 10 minutes. The message in quotes will be sent
to all logged in users once every minute. When the time is under a
minute remaining, the message will be sent every few seconds.