[ale] hald

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 22:44:10 EDT 2005

If I may (having come from the NT side long ago)...

HAL as in hald isn't quite the same thing as HAL as in NT's HAL.  In NT
(substitute XP, 2000, 2003, whatever), the HAL sits between the OS and
the hardware and was key to the now long-forgotten capability of running
NT on Alpha AXP and MIPS processors.

But in Linux, HAL is a mechanism to help straighten out the mess that is
impermanent devices, along with udev, etc.

Jeff