[ale] BellSouth DSL setup

Christopher Coleman Christopher.Coleman at nsc.com
Thu Sep 15 10:13:56 EDT 2005

You don't need the setup CD that is provided with the modem. You can
configure the modem by pointing a browser at http://192.168.1.1. All I
had to do was enter my username and password into the modem and click
connect. The modem users PPoE and provides addresses via DHCP on the LAN
side. So I can boot my PC into Windows or Linux and it works.

If you plan on using a router or AP between then you have to disable
DHCP and the login on the modem. I then configured my netgear router
with the username and password, and allowed it to serve DHCP addresses.