[ale] ThinkPad sound working

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 7 22:13:43 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 14:54 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> All,
>
> I got Xine working (sort of) at about 4am; Ogle wouldn't play my Dilbert
> or Trek IV disks!
>
> However, Xine cannot run fast enough for normal video or sound.
>

> The xine_check made some suggestions for performance improvement, such as
> adding Kernel MTRR support, X YV12 Overlay support, customizing X for
> my hardware (IBM Thinkpad R31), etc.  The R31 seems to have fast display
> hardware and has a 1.2 GHz Celeron.

Very strange, Bob. My T20 has a 700MHz P3 and 256 MRAM and it plays
DVD's full screen with no problems. However, a celeron is a bit slower
on the decompression but your 1.2GHz should still be faster than
my .7GHz P3.

> Will these improvements likely get sufficient speed for normal play?

The biggest slowup I've seen yet has been running X in the frame buffer.
It is simply too generic to have any speed to it. Make sure you are
running the i810 module.

> Recommendations?

No flame war intended here, but if I know Bob like I think I do, that
laptop probably has Slackware on it. Slack is great for servers (Bob's
specialty) but is not as terrific in the userland, graphics intensive
world of games and multimedia. There is a big advantage to the Fedora
series that Slack doesn't have: Freshrpms.org  That is a great
repository of cutting edge multimedia stuff built for use on Fedora
systems. There is also an apt-get repository of the same stuff as well
so Debian users can feel to love as well :)

And there's Dag's site that also provides cutting edge stuff primarily
for RedHat based systems like Fedora.

Even if you stick with slackware, the src.rpm's would provide some
heavy-duty info on what tools to upgrade.

> Do I need to switch from a 2.4 to a 2.6 kernel (which I don't want to
> bother with)?

There is better graphics subsystems support in 2.6.x although it is
supposed to be backported to 2.4.28+

> Can someone advise on how I can customize X for the R31 hardware?

Make sure you are using the i810 module. I don't know if there is an
i830 out yet but if so, you will need to be using xorg and not XFree86.
That is a lot of compile time fun.

> Thanks very much,
> Bob Toxen,
> Server geek who is week on multimedia stuff

Hope it helps.
(server geek who builds render farms for fun and tinkers with graphics
as a hobby)
(P.S. Any one have a 12kBTU room air conditioner they want to sell? When
I turn on the craylinked origin's the 5kBTU POS can't handle the load.)