[ale] web site prints to my printer without my interaction!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 7 08:02:05 EDT 2005

So, I received an email from blockbuster telling me I had a free movie
rental coupon.  I was expecting it, as it's some plan my wife joined.

The interesting thing is, I selected the link, a page loaded in my
browser, then I get a popup saying that the coupon has been sent to my
default printer.

So, they printed something to my printer without me requesting to do so.

A new kind of spam??

The interesting thing is that apparently this is done via flash, as a
note at the bottom of the page says that it is required to download your
coupon.

Further note, if I reload the page, I get a second coupon printed. Of
course it has a bar code, thus I suspect it'll only work once.

--
Until later, Geoffrey