[ale] Refill ink cartridge, go to jail!!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 6 07:54:46 EDT 2005

Brian Hartsfield wrote:
> On 9/5/05, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
>
>>Brian Hartsfield wrote:
>>

>>>What is somebody is absent-minded (like myself) and simply forgets to
>>
>>send
>>
>>>the thing back? Have I now broken the law?
>>
>>As laws go, in general, yes. If you're driving down the road and you
>>forget the speed limit is 45 and you're caught doing 65, you will get a
>>ticket.
>
> My problem with that is that normal rebates are based on the assumption that
> most people will not take the time to send it in. Now you make a "prebate"
> and the same assumption has to apply - that most people are not going to
> send it in. So what is the point?

No, it's certainly different.  When you get a rebate coupon, that's all
you have.  You have gained no value.  With the prebate, they are giving
you the value up front with a promise that you'll do your part when the
time comes.

> To sue people who don't follow
> instructions to the letter or just the people who refill?

Good question.  It depends on the wording.

> The example is not
> a good analogy since if you are driving it is easy to control you speed.
> Here, you are forcing people to go out of their way to do something (mail a
> cartridge back) which is not part of their normal routine.

Driving the speed  limit may not be a part of their routine either.
I've always had a heavy foot and have to work at driving within the
legal speed limit.

> A better car
> anology would be telling people if they are out of gas they cannot stop
> anywhere but have to come to station X to refuel even if that is out of
> their way.

Sounds like a Microsoft solution. :)  If you make such a stupid legal
agreement, then you are likely bound by it.  IANAL, so don't take that
to court on my account.

I don't know the whole story, but I'd doubt that they'll sue folks who
fail to return, more likely, those who refill.  I really don't know.
I'm not saying it's right mind you, I was addressing the question of
breaking the law.

Consumers simply need to react with their wallet.  Don't buy their
products and let them know why, every chance you get.

> I still don't like this prebate thing at all.

I don't either.

--
Until later, Geoffrey