[ale] Website musings

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:26:18 EDT 2005

On 9/2/05, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> :-)
> Not to be a total pill, but I'm curious how would a "blog" be different
> from the ALE Wiki that we already under-utilize?

The wiki is for persistent information--info that has a long shelf life and
is of long term interest. A blog is for recording/disseminating information
of current interest.

I like the idea of the blog to replace the klunky announcements page on
ale.org <http://ale.org>, but don't think it should be used to post tips and
hints, or ask questions. The former belongs on the wiki or mailing list and
the latter on the mailing list. At best, it would mean there are two places
to look for information instead of one, at worst it would obsolete the
mailing list. We don't need another way to get information out, we need
better ways to sort/collate/find the information we already have.

I wouldn't mind a newsgroup gateway for the mailing list, though I find that
reading it in gmail is as handy as a newsgroup--maybe handier. I would love
to have a usable archive or it, though google works pretty well for that,
too.

Michael

peace