[ale] Find IP-address from MAC address

Rene Rasmussen ale at ras-world.dk
Thu Sep 1 12:46:57 EDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 15:04, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:53 +0200, Rene Rasmussen wrote:
> > The other host is a N-port server (16 serial ports server with IP
> > access). I need to find the IP address to configure it, but I only know
> > the MAC address.
>
> Are you even sure it has an IP address?  There is a chance that it was
> either "de-configured" or never configured in the first place.  I also
> think it is possible that the unit could use DHCP.
According to the manual the server is capable of using DHCP, but can also be
configured with a static IP address. Of course I cannot be sure how it is
configured at the moment.
There is a reset button on the unit, but that only resets the password. At
least that's what the manual say. (I have tried it...)

> Google says that default IP address is 192.168.127.254/24, have you
> tried that yet?
I have tried the default address, but got no reply from the unit.
I made a little script utilizing nmap to scan all the addresses between
192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255. (one network at a time of course).
Unfortunately I still got no reply.

As I'm not very good at making scripts yet, I had to look through all the
generated log files to check whether an address was found or not. Took a bit
of time. ;-)
Seriously, I don't know enough about Linux and the command line tools to make
any advanced scripts yet. That'll probably come along the way.

Regards,
Ren?