[ale] Can this kill a network adapter?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 28 12:23:25 EDT 2005

Nathan J. Underwood wrote:

>I use partimage quite a bit to image computers.  I've never had a
>problem with it (well, haven't had *this* problem with it) in the past,
>but I've just ran into a problem a second time that just seems weird.  I
>have a workstation (fresh install of Windows XP Pro), and I'm creating
>an image on it on a server (Win2k3 SBS).  Generally, after installing
><insert OS / ver here>, I boot the workstation to a Knoppix disk
>(currently using Knoppix v3.9).  Once Knoppix boots, I open a shell, get
>root, mount a share on my Win2k3 server, fire up partimage, and create
>an image on that samba share.  As mentioned above, that generally
>doesn't cause any problems.
>
>Now, fast forward to a couple of days ago.  Finished a workstation,
>verified that all seemed well, rebooted it and started the imaging
>process.  The partition that it was imaging was only 8GB, so I didn't
>expect it to take too long at all.  I went to grab a cup of coffee and
>see what the latest was at the water cooler, and got back, and it wasn't
>done (normally, it would have been).  Further investigation showed that
>it was hung.  So I killed it, and planned to start it over again.  No
>dice.  The short story is, it was no longer connected to the network.
>ifconfig showed only lo (i.e. no info for eth0).  I then tried to renew
>the IP, no love.  After poking around a bit, I decided to reboot the
>box.  Still, no IP, no trace of eth0.  I stuck another network card in
>the machine, rebooted, imaged, no problems.  Removed the extra nic,
>booted Windows, no nic.  Tried to remove it from device manager (and let
>plug and pray pick it back up), no dice.  The network card (that
>apparently failed) was the built-in card on an Abit NF7 mobo.
>
>Now, fast forward to a couple of minutes ago.  Same scenario.  Installed
>Windows, installed SP2, installed updates, booted Knoppix, mounted [smb]
>share, started imaging process, went for caffeine, returned to a dead
>nic.  This was on an Abit NF8 mobo.  I've not been able to 'resurrect'
>the dead nic on the mobo.
>
>Anyone had any similar issues with Abit motherboards?

I'm not sure if it's related, but the nics on those boards (nforce
chipsets) are not very reliable.  I've had the nics go out on a couple
boards.  The link lights all seem to work normally, the drivers load,
but no data.  I ended up just installing a pci nic, all was well again.
One board was MSI one was Asus.  If you do find out how to get them
working again, please let me/the list know.

Calvin Harrigan