[ale] Accessing MS SQL Server from Python on Linux

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 13:38:54 EDT 2005

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the subject problem.  I'm
used to importing the pygresql module into python and then I can have
Python like:

    db = _pg.connect(db_name, db_location)

and so forth.

Anyway, I'm finding myself needing to pull the same trick on a MS SQL
Server instance on another machine and I'm not finding anything as
straightforward.

On Freenode IRC, I'm being directed to things like the Sybase module for
Python (for which there seems to be no Gentoo ebuild, leading me to
believe that this isn't widely used) and FreeTDS, but I'm not seeing at
all how these things integrate.

What would be typical practice for doing what I'm trying to do?

Jeff