[ale] difference among Seagate, WesternDigital & Maxtor ?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Oct 25 16:40:23 EDT 2005

Courtney Thomas <cc.thomas at earthlink.net> writes:

> I need a new IDE drive and apparently Seagate, Western Digital and
> Maxtor have it to themselves, though I'm receptive if others are more
> for less.
>
> Is there any significant difference among them that I should be aware
> of, or just get the biggest I can find for the least cost ?

I'll go out of my way to get Seagate drives.  I used to buy WD because
they're cheap, but, y'know, they're cheap. I've had *lots* of WD
drives fail.  And I've had trouble getting Maxtor drives to play nice
with other manufacturers' drives on the same IDE bus.

So I'd say, "Get the biggest Seagate drive you can afford".  Ideally,
get two and RAID 'em.

Cheers,

-- J Knapka