[ale] RHEL3 ES - / set to read-only after reboot

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 21 08:26:28 EDT 2005

After rebooting a RHEL3 ES server this morning / was set to read-only.  I
checked dmesg and found a couple issues with EXT3 listed that appeared to
have been corrected so I rebooted the box a second time to see if things
would change.  This time dmesg shows no errors on EXT3 (or anything else
from what I saw) however / is still set to read-only.

I am trying to use "mount -w -o remount /" but I keep getting this msg in
return:

mount: LABEL=/ duplicate - not mounted

I have been able to fix this in the past using a different syntax in, I
believe, the same cmd as shown above.  However, I am drawing a blank and
haven't been successful in my online searching as of yet.

Anyone out there have some ideas for me?  I guess I basically need to umount
and remount / with as RW in a single cmd.

Thank you.

-Ryan