[ale] How do I install 32 bit SuSe 9.3 on a 64 bit system?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Oct 11 17:50:39 EDT 2005

 Ive installed SuSE 9.3 64 bit on an Opteron white box tower and
installed with zero problems.
If you really want to try 32-bit, use the CDs.  They only have the 32
bit stuff.
There are some devices that there aren't 64-bit modules available for.
Maybe your notebook has one of them
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
Voice - 770-874-0872
Fax    - 678-623-8002
Cell    - 678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> cor.angela at mindspring.com 10/11/05 4:12 pm >>>
Jim Lynch wrote:

>I've got this new Presario with a 64 bit AMD chip.  I installed Debian

>on it, but never could get X configured.  I've always had better luck

>with SuSe on unusual hardware so I installed 9.3.  Unfortunately it
>installed a 64 bit kernel and other assorted 64 bit programs, but it
>won't boot.  Now I'm trying to go back and install a 32 bit kernel
and
>can't figure out how to tell it to do just that.  It insists on
>installing a 64 bit kernel.  I looked in the packages but there isn't
>package listed anywhere that suggests it is linux or kernel or
whatever.

>Any suggestions would be welcome.  I'm staring at the Yast screen,
>"Installations settings" right now.  I'm booting from a minimal cdrom

>and doing a network install.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim.

Here is part of a previous posting that deals with your problem
although
on a different machine.
Two weeks ago I bought a hp pavilion zv6000 at fry's for about 1450. It

has 1 Gb ram, 2.4 Gb CPU, 100 Gb hd and a dvdwriter. The first one was

DOA, the replacement (they tried to screw me by replacing it with a
refurbished one!) has worked so far. It has no floppy drive, no serial

port, but has all sorts of things I have never heard of, but will
eventually figure out.
It of course has redmond stuff. It happily accepted SuSE9.3 after a
little bit of a struggle.
I guess you guys with all the DSL and ISDN stuff would not be
interested
in modem talk,
but I have a story there, contact me if you are interested. The mouse
is
horrible, no port for ps/2 mouse either, unlike my old Sony laptop.

SuSE9.3 professional informed me that I was installing a 32 bit OS on a

64 bit system, but went ahead anyway and so far worked ok. The 64 bit
SUSE9.3 which I tried to install hung when formatting (or maybe I was
impatient, anyway, after an hour I had enough); need help on this one.
leave it at this for the time being.
Cor van Dijk