[ale] Enterprise Linux's

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 23:11:01 EDT 2005

--- "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:55 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > One of my clients who does pay for RHEL support tried the support.  He
> > got a woman in Singapore whose English was too poor for him to understand
> > her.  So much for support or "buying American".
>
> That truly stinks. I have never used RedHat's support for anything so I
> don't know if it's worth anything. But what you described is the reason
> I dropped Mindspring after 10 years.

Got kids?  Dropped all their toys made in China?

I've never really understood the "pro-American ONLY" approach to things.  I can
understand showing preference for American products, or even preference for
another nation's products (think: BWM, Mercedes, and even Mushu Pork).

What real American options are there for outsourcing a 24/7/365 day call
center?  I know IBM does this, but I hear they actually provide the service
from other countries.  I don't think that companies that outsource actually
look to do it from other countries, they just look to find a reasonable cost
savings (just like most businesses do)

One more question:  What if the operator spoke to you with a heavy Irish accent
and didn't know where on the map Atlanta was?  Would you be equally troubled?

-Jim P.