[ale] Seeking ways to getting around spyware on Windows

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Mon Oct 10 15:55:09 EDT 2005

On 10/10/2005 11:44 AM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Actually, I'm asking for a lot more than that; I'm asking that the code
> that I'm interfacing with be examinable.  Otherwise, it's just another
> "black box" mechanism whose efficacy I must take on faith.  Whereas I
> personally may not have the chisenbop to audit the iptables code, the
> fact that an unlimited number of people with arbitrarily high capability
> *can* audit the iptables and related code counts for a lot.

Then, in that case, the answer is no, the Windows OS and built-in
components (i.e. Windows Firewall) are not open source.  However, it can
be turned off and replaced with any of the multiple third-party
firewalls available for Windows, some of which are open source.

Here is an interesting site, and they do have a section on firewalls:
The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!
<http://OSSWin.SourceForge.net/>

Alan