[ale] Laptop Security Trick

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Oct 10 12:32:59 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 08:46:34AM -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Very nice.  I'll be doing this today.
Might I suggest:

  1. Put an encrypted file system on the laptop to protect your
     confidential information.

  2. Borrow an engraver from your library or police department and
     engrave your name, driver's license, and phone number on it.

  3. The splash screen is a fine idea for the rare case of a stupid
     thief and honest pawn shop.  I used to take great pleasure in
     writing "Stolen from Bob Toxen" on the bottom of my office
     chairs.  When I accused someone of stealing one from my office
     and the guy said "Prove it," it was very satisfying.

     Putting that on the splash screen too may help.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"