[ale] Emacs stinks, Vi is for wimps

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Oct 7 22:29:23 EDT 2005

> XEmacs >> Emacs

I've been watching this for a few days..
as I type line after line of code, and edit various files
and even edit my PINE e-mails.. with: joe

http://sourceforge.net/projects/joe-editor/

I've been using it since at least '94.

Even have a XX-DOS version (8.3 filesnames.. yech..)
And I had a pre-MacOSX version on a Mac once..

And just wanted to plug it.. as it just works,
has minimal system requirements.. Wordstar-ish
key bindings by default (but also runs as 'jmacs'
with more 'emacs' like keystrokes..)

Is it everything Emacs/XEmacs is.. Not even close.
But it doesn't hurt my head mode swapping
like 'vi' does either. - I offer it humbly as a
middle ground for those who may be looking for
a trusty tool, a friendly editor more capable
then 'pico'.

And when forced to use other editors, it's amazing how many
of them have 'wordstar/joe' like key mappings available,
although not all work -exactly- the same, at least close
enough to kepe from completely retraining my fingers..