[ale] Grub install hanging

Harper Ennis harperennis at gtconline.com
Wed Nov 30 08:17:25 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 19:03 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a test machine that has multiple boot partitions.  I prefer to
> use grub to manage it.
>
> I installed Win2003 on it recently and that blew away grub.
>
> I'm used to that and simply boot from CD into rescue mode and run
> "grub-install /dev/hda3" where hda3 is my main SUSE 10.0 partition.
>
> For some reason, grub (called by grub-install script) is freezing.

I think that starting grub and not grub install will clear this up.

try
#grub --no-floppy

 the --no-floppy should stop the hang. I have had problems with
grub-install myself.

from the grub prompt type

root (hd0,2)

setup (hd0)

that should install it for ya, be Sure to check grub.conf to make sure
its set to boot windows.