[ale] Dell laptop service?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Nov 28 13:23:24 EST 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>>My sister's Dell laptop seems to have an internal wifi problem, warranty
>>>expired earlier this year.  Anyone know of a good repair shop for Dell
>>>laptops?
>>
>>Is it internal, or possibly a mini-pci?  If it's a mini-pci, you can
>>replace it about as easily as adding/replacing memory in the laptop.
>

> Good idea.  It is internal.  One thing that bothers me is that the DELL
> BIOS shows the correct on/off status of the wireless (based on toggling
> FN+F2) however even a new WinXP install doesn't detect the interface.
> I'm sort of worried about ordering a replacement until I know for sure
> this one is faulty.

I've worked with a couple of folks who have dell laptops that have
minipci network cards.  We picked one up off of pricewatch for around
$45, prism54 chipset.

You're right though, you don't want to spend the cash if it's not the
card.  Maybe you could borrow one from someone?  All depends on how much
of a hassle it is to get it out of the case though.

--
Until later, Geoffrey