[ale] X11, SuSE, Signal 14

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon Nov 28 08:48:50 EST 2005

ALErs -

I'm having trouble booting a new SuSE-9.3 installation in X11 (runlevel
5) on an oldish Gateway box. The system repeatedly tries to start X11,
but the login ("welcome") screen is repeatedly killed on a reported
'signal 14'. What does this indicate?

I conjecture my system tries to launch an unacceptable window geometry.
VT console logins work fine. My current idea is to change to runlevel 3,
and start X11 manually to see whether I get more detailed error reports.

The installation went fine otherwise. I had a pass through SuSE's
"repair bad system" and it did update a couple of packages -- nothing I
recogized related to X11. I would rather not re-install a basically
sound setup if I can just fix the X-server.

TIA for suggestions.

 - Mills