[ale] Debugging lockups on a linux system?

tom sawyer tomsayer3135 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 07:33:02 EST 2005

   Hello all,

 I'm having a problem.  I have a couple of linux boxes that I support at a client site.  The problem is that one of them keeps locking up for no apparent reason.  All I have is SSH access.  I have to have them reboot the device so that I can SSH back into it.  Nothing shows up in /var/log/messages when it locks up.  The next thing I see is the Syslog-NG starting up and the boot messages when they have to power-cycle the device.  Any ideas what "debugging" I can turn on in order to find out more about what's going on?  These are roughly based on RH 7.1 (originally)  and are on 2.4.23 or later kernel.  I can't upgrade the kernel due to it coming from a vendor for the application we use on it.

 Thanks,
 Tom