[ale] Old Apple G3 and Linux

Billy Passauer hpassau at emory.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:22:51 EST 2005

Jeb Barger wrote:
> I have an old beige g3 and would like to put linux on it.  However, it
> doesn't want to boot from the cd.  Anybody got a suggestions?

Hi Jeb,

I don't remember exactly where the line is drawn as to which Macs could
boot linux directly from CD, as well as being able to boot linux
directly from the hard drive, ("New World" macs) and those that had to
have a small installation of Mac OS installed which then booted to linux
using the BootX loader ("Old World" macs).  It's possible that yours is
in the latter category.  Maybe these will help:

    penguinppc.org: Macintosh
    http://penguinppc.org/mac/

    penguinppc.org: BootX Bootloader
    http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/bootx/