[ale] PGP question

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 22 14:51:06 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 13:08 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 11:50 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 November 2005 10:02 am, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > | Message was signed by 73517.757 at compuserve.com (Key ID:
> > 0xE1C94B46DF1DD471).
> > | Warning: The signature is bad.
> >
> > Mike was writing about the slightly delayed FC5/test 1
> > release.
> >
> > But I am curious as to why my mailing software warned me that
> > Mike's signature was "bad."

> 	It LOOKS to be yet another stupid random act of terrorism by Evolution.
> The message in my "sent" folder checks good.  The message relayed back
> to me through my own mail system is not.  Examining it closer, it looks
> like something in the "quoted printable" Mime encoding.  The original
> message seems to have been generated with carriage returns (which it
> should not have been) but the resulting returned message has them all
> stripped (which should not have caused a signature failure in text
> mode...).

	I take it back.  It looks like it's "MailScanner" that was updated and
changed and now committing the mayhem.  Messages not passing through
MailScanner on my MX server are coming out with good signatures.
Messages which do pass through it are bad.  And the differences appear
to be those carriage returns.  Looks like I need a group sitting for
that clue-by-four.  Evolution shouldn't be generating those carriage
returns in the messages and MailScanner should not be corrupting
messages like that...  Sigh...

> 	Looking back at old messages, it looks to have started happening about
> a week or two ago.  Still investigating to find out what's broken and
> then to find out what changed to cause it.  Then to find my
> clue-by-four...
>
> 	But thanks for bringing this to my attention.
>
> > Sean

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/