[ale] Live CD to drop on my Dad's computer over thanksgiving?

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:11:43 EST 2005

Most of my experience with Knoppix has been with machines where Knoppix
could find a swap file. I understand the speed of a RAM disk, but I was
thinking that the system would eventually use all of the available RAM, and
the system would be forced to begin swapping. To be honest, though, I never
thought about the CD spin-up/down time making Knoppix slow. Thanks for
pointing that out. My point, though, I believe still stands. Live CD's are
great, but when using them to demonstrate the power of Linux, it's worth
noting to whoever is experiencing the demo that a Live CD should perform
worse than an actual Linux install.