[ale] OT: Migrating off dying HDD

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Nov 14 13:24:27 EST 2005

John Mills wrote:

>  3. Other than a fan, any clever ideas to keep this #$%&!! working long
> enough to dump a good fraction of its data? (I plan setting it on a
> cold-block and see if that helps.)

If it truly is overheating, there are a number of things you might try.
   I had a box that was poorly cooled, so in the interim, I pulled the
side off and had a 9" fan blowing on the cpu.  This made a 10C degree
difference in the temperature registered by the cpu.

If you have the old drive out of the laptop (sounds like you do), get an
ice pack or fill a ziplock with ice.  lay a towel over the ice
pack/ziplock.  Place the drive on top of the towel.

Not items that I would recommend for long term solutions or for a drive
you plan to keep for any amount of time, but good quick solutions to
cool a device that is overheating.

--
Until later, Geoffrey