[ale] Bash Scripting: How to pass "yes" + carriage return?

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 11 07:22:29 EST 2005

Hello all,

I am in need of figuring out how to pass a "yes" followed by a carriage
return via a bash script so a backup process can run successfully each day.

The script does the following:

1) ssh to RaQ server as root

2) run cmuExport

3) copies contents of export to NAS device

Since cmuExport has been run before a prompt stating the directory the file
is written to already exists, do I want to overwrite is returned.  The only
way to get past this point is to enter "y" then press ENTER at the prompt.
This is what I am attempting to automate.

Thank you for any help offered!

-Ryan