[ale] Could not solve SUSE 10.0 slow performance with Asus Intel cpu/chipset

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 10 09:58:42 EST 2005

Greg,
I had some problems with the kpowersaved daemon.  You don't have to run it.  Did you try not running it and would you still get the same effects?  The kernel modules will still control the powersaving functions.  I found that with a patched suse kernel on the suse ftp server that I didn't have acpi problems but still shouldn't run powersaved.  I've shut it off at boot on my laptop.  The ASUS board may have the same problem that my Compal EFL30 laptop board had with the suse 10 default kernel.  Anyway, you've loaded Fedora and if your happy then it is a moot point.

For those interested, go to the suse ftp server or a full mirror and look for under the people subdirectory the username trenn.  Inside of there you will find acpi related patches and a patched kernel for suse 10 that works with many laptops having ACPI problems.  I've got suse 10 with the super suse patches and the patched kernel from Thomas Renn.  The laptop functions very well for me with suspend to disk working, the intel ipw2200 wifi and nvidia graphics coming up configured on booting from suspend.
Best wishes,
Dow