[ale] OT: power saving devices

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 9 09:25:42 EST 2005

I'm not actually helping with this...

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> I'm looking for one or more power saving devices that do the following:
>
> TV: After 1 hour shutoff TV if zero motion in vicinity.   I know I can
> do this with a combination of X-10 devices, but I am looking for a
> simplified solution.

Seems like the simplest solution would be attached to your dominant hand -
applied to the off button. Family members who don't catch on get whined
at. (Course I'm more for using the TV as a skeet target, but I'm not
normal anyway.)

> Printer:  After 1 hour of consistent near-zero amperage on line (i.e.
> printer is idle), cut line power until printer power switch is cycled.
> I know this is do-able, as some newer X-10 light modules will allow
> you to cycle a lamp switch and power on the module rather than having to
> hunt down the X-10 remote to do this.  Again, I am looking for an
> all-in-one solution.

Seems like the place to start might be with the machine providing the
print que service. When the que is emptys, set a timer. When the timer
expires, down the printer. Of course, it might be best if the printer
could accept a command to shut down, rather than mucking with the power
supply. Perhaps rewiring the On/Off button to work with a relay pulse
would work, although the warrentee would be significantly voided.

> Ideally the solutions would be inline adapters that the device powercord
> is plugged in to.  GFI and lightning arresting capabilities would be
> welcome too.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Jim P.

If you think Education is expensive