[ale] OT: $400 Laptop

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 14:29:25 EST 2005

Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> Soon us ITP folks will have a Super Walmart, just east of 75N btwn
>> N'Side and Howell Mill, in which to roam aimlessly. ;-)
>
> I wonder who's property they stole to build it there...

Stole?  They are bringing value by buying decades old land left idle and
wasting.  Property that was taking value *away* from the area.  Within 1
mile there are million dollar homes, but this spot of land wasn't doing
anything except being home to a few vagrants and a play area for some
skateboarders.  The hotel that once sat on that site pre-dated the
Peachtree Plaza Hotel, and most of what Atlanta looks like today.  Back
in the early 80s, I was at that hotel for Joe Frank Harris'
gubernatorial post-election party, even in that day in time the hotel
was a bit 'established'.  It will be a big improvement if all Walmart
does is level the place and pave a parking lot.  Stole?  hardly.  Saved
is more like it.

-Jim P.