[ale] OT: $400 Laptop

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 4 18:07:25 EST 2005

My last Wal Mart watch is currently about 6 years old and still running just fine. (Timex)

Once upon a time (around 96-97 time frame) I bought a Compaq laptop that didn't even make the 3 year mark before it became useless. (first laptop ever sold for under $2000) However, these days the software feature/bloat growth rate is much lower than it was in the late 90's so computer lifespans are definitely getting longer. For instance, I've got several AMD Athlon CPUs in the 1.4-1.6Ghz range, that I'v had for several years, that run Linux (Ubuntu/Suse/Slack) exceptionally well for my needs. (browser/email/openoffice) If my wife wasn't already complaining about the 9 computers (5 running) in my office, I'd be very tempted to run buy one of those $400 models myself.