[ale] OT re. serial pinouts

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:30:09 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Scott Denlinger <sbd at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to make a management cable for my Cisco uBR904 cable modem, since it
> didn't come with one when I bought it, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me
> with the pin-outs. Like other Cisco management cables, it's a serial cable with
> RJ-45 on the modem end, and serial (DE-9) on the computer end.
>
> In general I know you need to cross the TX and REC pins for serial
> connections, but do you need to do the same for DTR and DSR? Or does DSR on the
> cable modem connect to DSR on the computer's serial port, and DTR go to DTR?
> Should my pinouts go like this:
>
>   modem     computer
>   TX   ---> REC
>   REC  ---> TX
>   DTR  ---> DTR
>   DSR  ---> DSR
>
> or like this:
>
>   modem      computer
>   TX   --->  REC
>   REC  --->  TX
>   DTR  --->  DSR
>   DSR  --->  DTR
>
> (note that I'm not necessarily indicating signal direction in the above, just
> connections)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott Denlinger

It's been a while since I've made a console cable, but I think the DTR
and DSR pins always connect to each other like the second layout.

Check out: http://www.alliancedatacom.com/manufacturers/cisco-systems/connector_cables/cable_pinouts.asp

--
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory