[ale] MySQL and changes

Barry Hawkins barry at bytemason.org
Tue May 31 15:27:27 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 03:03:52PM -0400, Christopher Fowler spake thus:
> I'm running MySQL 4.X and I want to be able to see when rows are
> modified.  Is there a way to create a modified column in a table that
> gets updated with now() everytime a UPDATE or INSERT is executed?
>
> I had a case where I needed to know when a table was changed to see if a
> data change had caused a program to act strangely.
[...]
This would need to be done programmatically, and since MySQL does not
support stored procedures or triggers in 4.x, you would need to code that
type of update in your application(s) data access code.  Depending on the
type of application you have and how well-layered the code is, that can
be a bear.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins