[ale] FYI: Inexpensive 802.11g bridge

H. Adrin Story adrin at haswes.homelinux.org
Mon May 30 22:23:38 EDT 2005

Odd I have a BEFW11S4,  (802.11b).  It is a cable/DSL router.  but I am
able to use it as a AP.  I just gave it an IP on the same subnet and
don't use the WAN port.  Granted it will not ever work as a bridge.

On another note. I think the wireless performance is not so go with it.
I have noticed that corporate email (outlook to exchange server.) times
  out.  I have noticed this on some wireless networks and not on some
others.  Don't know why that 16 bit M$ program has to be such a
bandwidth pig.

Adrin

Jeb Barger wrote:
> Thanks Stephen for recommending this cheap wireless solution!!!!!!  I
> order I few of them and work like a champ.
>
> If you are still looking for a good bridge/AP/REPEATER (the sale is
> still going on) and I highly recommend this one!
>
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
>
>> I bought a Linksys 2 years ago thinking that it was an AP/Bridge but
>> found out it was a router.  It had no way of being an Access Point for
>> my current network.  I have to route between it and my current network.
>>
>> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 18:56, Stephen Cristol wrote:
>>
>>> CompUSA is selling the Viewsonics WAPBR-100 802.11g access
>>> point/bridge  for ~$30+shipping+tax. I've no experience with the
>>> device (other than  ordering one), but it seems like a nice accessory
>>> for a ReplayTV (or  possibly even a Tivo).

>>> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?
>>> product_code=319753&pfp=BROWSE
>>> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/networking/wirelessdatanetworks/