[ale] Novell NetWare GroupWare

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:20:41 EDT 2005

Carolinux.com wrote:

> 3,500 users is small for Netware. We used it at BofA with more like
> 35,000 users. No sweat to use OR maintain. I'd be interested to hear
> why they don't llike it. We set up Netware & just "forget about it"...
>
> I saw it in use at Blue Cross of South Carolina. And they have it here
> at my current contract (TIAA-CREF).
> File sharing, print sharing, and user authentication are the main uses
> I've seen. But James points out the other features.
>
> Oh, and they own Suse & Ximian...

The network was a school network, wherein once upon a time, like most
Novell networks, bindery was the thing to use.  They have issues
maintaining the mail gateway and don't like it, well, at least, the
netadmin doesn't.

They don't like the way the netware server is setup, and would honestly
prefer a solution either with Windows, or UNIX, but the school's board
won't hear of it.  They like the GroupWise software that they've been
using.  In effect, Netware is only in place on that particular network
because the end-users *control* the network, and refuse to let it go.

*shrugs*.

I know that personally, I'd rather use Linux+Samba to provide file and
printer sharing and network authentication and roaming profiles.  I've
never had issues with it, and it has always been great for me.  Set it
up and truly forget about it.  It's also nice that Linux solutions scale
from small systems to extremely large ones.  My network at home runs all
of the services on one machine, where on a large network I could
seperate and delegate tasks between machines if wanted.  I couldn't do
that with Netware if things got to be greatly overloaded, at least, not
without bending backwards and installing more licenses, from everything
I've heard.  It's crazy and absolutely insane.

Perhaps it's a zealot-like point of view, but it is mine.  Having seen
the constant state of dislike from that one particular network, I'd
rather go with tools that everyone has and that I know and personally
have seen work.

	- Mike

- --
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!