[ale] Window Chopping

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sat May 28 14:09:41 EDT 2005

On Sat, 28 May 2005, John Mills wrote:

> I'll look into 'partimage'.
>
> I gave the problem a bit more thought and decided a disk image is not what
> I need.

[snip]
> There are some 3.5 GBy in use on the disk, so a file backup would be a lot
> handier than a disk image of 3.5 GBy live data an 36 GBy dead space!

This is not a problem.  Partimage intelligently copies (and optionally
compresses) the live data only, not the dead space.  And although their web
page says NTFS support is experimental, I, too, have had good luck with
using it to copy and restore NTFS file systems.

And as Geoffrey already mentioned, resizing an NTFS partition (using
ntfsresize) also works well as an option.  Actually, I like to use both
partimage and ntfsresize together (used in that order).  That way, if
ntfsresize fails to work properly, I still have a chance to recover the data
saved with partimage.

--Joe