[ale] Linspire 5.0

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 27 15:18:22 EDT 2005

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 13:47 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 12:21 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>
>>>If so it would have been a major stocking fubar at MicroCenter as this
>>>was a brand new box.
>>
>>So... business is still the same there.  I always try to put a positive
>>spin on their practices of returning returns to the shelf... I try to
>>think of it as pre-tested.  ;-)
>

> I viewed it as "Someone else was pretty sure that some version of Linux
> would run on it so I'll use it as a basic firewall box for $250".
>
> Still a returned machine should have some evidence of prior opening.
> This did not. I think the factory installation process needs a bit more
> QA.

You have to be very careful when purchasing goodies at MicroCenter that
have been marked down.  They will re-shrinkwrap the stuff, making it
look like it's never been opened.

I'm not aware that they put returns back on the shelf without noting so
and marking it down.  I don't think this is a legitimate practice.

I have purchased goods that were marked down a small amount and noted
that it was returned and tested good.

--
Until later, Geoffrey