[ale] user friendly TIFF viewer?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 25 16:28:41 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:37:25AM -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> I signed up for a fax service which is emailing my faxes as TIFFs.
> What is the best way to view them?
>
> If I open them in the GIMP, each page shows up as a layer in a single
> image.  To actually print this you need to play with the layer
> dialogue and step through the image one layer at a time.  And I'm
> trying to talk my wife through this over the phone--arg!
>
> I'd like something that understands that TIFF is more of a document
> format and displayes it as multiple pages.  Something I can talk my
> wife through easily on the phone.  Is there such a thing for Linux?

I've used the 'display' tool from the ImageMagick suite. It views a multipage
TIFF one page at a time.

I even scripted up a tool that will print such faxes.
#---------------------- printfax: multiple fax TIFF printer -------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$1" ] ; then
   echo "Usage: printfax faxfile"
   exit 1
fi

target=/tmp/printfax.$$
mkdir $target
cp $1 $target
cd $target
convert -geometry 768x1024! $1 printfax-%03d.ps
lpr printfax*.ps
cd /tmp
rm -rf $target